I'm a very inquisitive person. If something happens and I don't know why it happened, well gosh darnit I must find out! ASAP! So, like most people who find themselves in this conundrum, I googled that shit.
The definition of nightmare: A dream that occures during REM sleep which creates feelings of anxiety, fear, terror, and usually awakens the sleeper.
Well duh.....I'ma need more info than this! I know what it is, I just don't know why it happens. Oh glorious and omnipotent Internet, please enlighten me so I may one day be able to avoid these terrifying things my crazy brain creates.
Nightmares, unlike night terrors, can be recalled afterward and are accompanied by much less anxiety and movement. These frightening dream experiences, which tend to occur at times of insecurity, emotional turmoil, depression, or guilt, can occur in all age groups. (Thanks www.healthscout.com!)
Well I already knew I was feeling all of those things, so there you have it. My nightmares are apparently a result of my mind recognizing how motherflippin' stressed out I am about life at this very moment.
You may be asking yourself, "Oh Jess, why are you so stressed, darlin'?" Or you may not care at all, but in that case why are you reading this? Go away! So if you do care, here's a list of why (I like making lists.):
- I'm having family come to visit very very soon.
- When I know people are coming to my house, my anxiety goes through the roof and I go on a mad cleaning spree.
- My house can't possibly get clean enough before people arrive, which makes me even more anxious.
- I've been feeling grotesque lately as I recently had a baby (12 weeks ago) and although I knew my body would never be the same I refuse to acept that and have been working out a lot and really pushing myself to lose the weight fast. I am an over-achiever, always have been.
- Aforementioned baby is having his 3 month growth spurt which means I've been getting hardly any sleep. I breastfeed on demand and when LB is hungry he eats every hour, round the clock.
- I'm a bit of an OCD control freak, so when all of these things are happening (visitors, messy house, hungry hungry hippo baby) I get panicky because it's all seemingly out of my control.
The Internet knows me well, and provided a list of ideas (Wee, another list!):
I need to be cutting myself some slack here. LOL. I laugh because people have been telling me that forever, and I rationally and logically know it's sound advice, but anxiety disorder is nothing if not irrational! It's a tale as old as time. Once upon a time there was a crazy girl named Jess. The End.
I will definitely be trying out the tea and the stretching today. I will also do my best to understand that there will always be things which I cannot control; that doesn't mean my whole life must come to a screeching halt as I scurry about frantically trying to line everything up.
I need to go through my 101 list again and tidy it up. I copy/pasted from another person's list and changed a few goals, but the way it's formatted is not to my liking at all! List FAIL! But that can wait for another day.
Love love!
Hey woman! I also wonder if the baby hormones also give us crazy dreams, I had a bunch of nightmares last night too, the kind where you wake up and feel really rotten.
ReplyDeleteI like advice #2 on the list, that's one thing I'm going to try. Good luck with the tea and stretching :-)
Oh you might be on to something there! I'm sure part of it is just because I'm a new mom, and that can be terrifying...
ReplyDeleteSorry you had nightmares too. Argh, they really freaked me out. I only slept in 45 minute stretches all night. *yawn* Sleepy Jess is sleepy.
Hey! I think meditation really works. There's actually some really nice short guided meditations on YouTube. I will send you a link. Talking and journaling about it are excellent techniques. When's your dad getting here and how long is he staying?
ReplyDeleteMy dad gets here on Friday. And my sister and her boyfriend have decided to move to Seattle, so they are also geting here on Friday and staying at our house until they get jobs and a place to live. Thanks for the link! I will absolutely be checking that out (as soon as I get LB down for a nap)!
ReplyDeleteyou should do yoga every night. its not only stretching, its fun, good for you, and helps with List #1 Problem #4. [=
ReplyDeleteI love yoga, Lizzie! I will totally start doing it more regularly. :)
ReplyDelete